30.1.12

Got a sax?




So here's the finished poster I did as a favour 'out of the goodness of my heart'. It's actually the first poster I've done since I was a little design student! Not too bad, huh?

At the start, I wasn't sure where I was going to go with it, but I've always preferred a more illustrative approach rather than photographic. I then looked to Alex Steinweiss, inventor of the modern-day album cover, for inspiration. He was an amazing illustrator/designer during the 40s-70s worthy of paying homage to.

I didn't spend too much time on it and only did one design. But I'm actually a little pleased with how it turned out. I'd like to think there's a nice sort of balance in the composition. Perhaps a few more projects like this might get rid of the rust? If you don't know what I'm on about, read this post.

Now what did my co-worker think? He was extremely pleased. I do remember hearing 'fantastic' a few times too. I exceeded his expectations, so much so that there was talk of monetary appreciation! The very best kind of appreciation.

Here's the moral of the story: Even if you're doing a favour, don't half-ass it. They might like it so much that they'll want to compensate you in some way! At the very least, they'll remember what a nice job you did and it might lead to actual work or recommendations to people with money!

~~~~~~~ WOO HOO!!! Happy 100th post!!! ~~~~~~~ 

The lines in the clarinet and violin are actually fractal patterns
I used "The Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss II as the song in the background

The Alex Steinweiss lp cover that inspired me

No comments:

Post a Comment